QSP Certification Process

In order to become a QSP, you must take an approved QSP Training Course offered by a Trainer of Record (ToR) approved by the California Stormwater Quality Association (CASQA).  Click Here to see our schedule of classes. 

You must also pass a QSP Exam, which is available online.

You must also hold one of the following Certifications:

  • A California registered professional civil engineer
  • A California registered professional geologist or engineering geologist
  • A California registered landscape architect
  • A professional hydrologist registered through the American Institute of Hydrology
  • A Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC) registered through CPESC Inc.
  • A Certified Professional in Storm Water Quality (CPSWQ) registered through CPSWQ Inc.
  • A professional in erosion and sediment control registered through the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET)
  • A Certified Erosion, Sediment and Storm Water Inspector (CESSWI) registered through CESSWI Inc.
  • A certified inspector of sediment and erosion control registered through Certified Inspector of Sediment and Erosion Control, Inc. (CISEC)

You may take the QSP Training Course and QSP Exam prior to getting the above mentioned certification.

If you do not already hold one of the above certifications, BTConsulting is offering the CESSWI Review Course and the CESSWI Exam.  In order to be approved to sit for the CESSWI Exam, you must gain approval to do so through CESSWI Inc.  Click Here to visit the CESSWI Website to make your application.  The process takes approximately 45 days to gain approval through CESSWI Inc., and must be completed prior to taking the Exam.  The approval process includes items like references, transcripts and verification of experience.  Click Here to see our schedule of classes, and follow the links to register.

Once you have taken the QSP Training Course and passed the State proctored exam, and you hold one of the above listed certifications, you will make your application to CASQA, and pay a registration fee.  CASQA will issue the actual QSP Certificate.

After September 2, 2011, you will not be able to continue to do SWPPP inspection until you have completed the process.

If you have any questions regarding the process, please feel free to call Peter Thorne at (530) 363-2148, or drop an email to training@gobtc.net

BTConsulting Inc., 5460 Merchant Circle, Unit A, Placerville, CA 95667